One of the Largest diversified insurance and financial services organizations – Our client provides a full range of insurance and financial services, including auto, motorcycle, boat, homeowners, life, farm, commercial insurance, administrative services, annuities, mortgages, mutual funds, pensions, long-term savings plans and health and productivity services.
Their Customer Analytics team wanted to implement a Business Intelligence system to automate and expand the delivery of customer based business performance metrics. The existing process for producing and delivering these metrics was highly manual in nature, requiring many hours of consolidating information from multiple sources into Excel and Power Point formats for limited distribution to key leaders in the organization.
HARKENDATA was engaged to focus the effort around creating a prototype reporting system to demonstrate the capabilities of MicroStrategy dashboards and analytics. The desired solution was developed with the following objectives in mind:
- Reduce the effort to collect and consolidate information, allowing for expanded analytic efforts.
- Increase the level of detail of Property/Casualty information available for reporting.
- Expand the scope of users able to consume summary and detail metrics utilizing a web based enterprise reporting solution.
- Provide the facility for a more comprehensive view of their customers.
By providing both technical and organizational leadership, HARKENDATA was able to achieve the following results:
- Facilitated reporting requirements sessions to combine the needs of the business with the capabilities of the application architecture to deliver a multi-tiered analytic solution. Through this approach, HARKENDATA was able to provide a single solution that could be utilized by multiple levels of users, from senior executives interested in a high-level, graphical view of the status of the business, to marketing analysts focused on specific, granular details around customer activities.
- Provided coordination between the technical development team and their senior architect to reach consensus on the approach and details of the solution. This included an effort to standardize reporting attributes and hierarchies to be consumed across the organization.
- Assisted with design of the back-end technical architecture by applying Business Intelligence best practices to ensure that the system met performance objectives. The HARKENDATA BI Architect was instrumental in providing the technical guidance necessary to ensure that the data architecture was in line with the requirements of the reporting environment.
- Utilized a structured project methodology to ensure delivery of the required solution. Challenges existed around team dynamics as well as project approach and execution. The HARKENDATA BI Architect was able to direct and focus the efforts of the team to ensure the project objectives were realized.
Benefits Client Received
The results of this project provided Customer Analytics senior management with the validation that the vision of a Business Intelligence analytics solution was viable in the near term. The demonstration of the prototype showed a wide array of analytic capabilities that a fully functioning dashboard presentation layer could provide. Utilizing MicroStrategy with a dependent data-mart on Teradata, the effort to collect, consolidate and deliver the data necessary for reporting and analysis will be streamlined, allowing for more time to be spent on analysis instead of data collection and distribution. This will allow the client to focus its efforts on understanding the details driving the business in a challenging economic environment. Because of the successful delivery of this prototype, the client has decided to extend the effort to build the prototype into a fully functioning solution and expand the scope of information that the system will contain.